19 hidden iphone features

badgolferman

Mar 18, 2023, 5:21:42 PM3/18/23

Alan Browne

Mar 18, 2023, 5:27:42 PM3/18/23
On 2023-03-18 17:21, badgolferman wrote:
> Some old and some new to me…
>
> https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/hidden-iphone-features-everyone-should-know

It's good to review these guides and others as there's always some
little gem we forgot to try or that wasn't of much use "back then".

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Andy Burnelli

Mar 19, 2023, 2:00:16 AM3/19/23
Alan Browne wrote:

> On 2023-03-18 17:21, badgolferman wrote:
>> Some old and some new to me¡K
>>
>> https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/hidden-iphone-features-everyone-should-know
>
> It's good to review these guides and others as there's always some
> little gem we forgot to try or that wasn't of much use "back then".

1. Customize your iOS Control Center
2. Use Back Tap for extra iPhone controls
3. Unlock the interactive iOS weather map
4. Share whatever is on your screen using Siri
5. Access the iPhone's hidden trackpad
6. Turn your iPhone's camera into a document scanner
7. Drag and drop files and photos between apps
8. Enter hidden codes to unlock features
9. Unleash the power of your iPhone's calculator app
10. Search anytime, anywhere using Spotlight
11. Enable Face ID when you're wearing a mask
12. Use your flash for notifications
13. Cast Harry Potter spells using Siri
14. How to use the zooming Maps slider
15. Hide sensitive or unwanted apps using the App Library
16. Turn on background sounds to ease stress
17. Rearrange multiple apps at once
18. Get custom battery alerts with a shortcut
19. Track flights using Messages

Chris

Mar 19, 2023, 5:36:27 AM3/19/23
Good list, found a couple of new ones myself. However, that website is
awful. It barely readable and slowed my phone down significantly.

Ant

Mar 19, 2023, 9:46:59 AM3/19/23
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-18 17:21, badgolferman wrote:
> > Some old and some new to me???
> >
> > https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/hidden-iphone-features-everyone-should-know

> It's good to review these guides and others as there's always some
> little gem we forgot to try or that wasn't of much use "back then".

Yep. Like the one finger maps and hold space bar tricks. Nice. Now, I just need to remember!
--
"Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory." ???1 Timothy 3:16. Ant is nest sick. :(
| |o o| |

Jolly Roger

Mar 19, 2023, 2:20:02 PM3/19/23
Works fine here on multiple devices, but then I've always used an ad
blocker on all of my computing devices...

JR

Chris

Mar 19, 2023, 2:53:51 PM3/19/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-19, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Some old and some new to me…
>>>
>>> https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/hidden-iphone-features-everyone-should-know
>>
>> Good list, found a couple of new ones myself. However, that website is
>> awful. It barely readable and slowed my phone down significantly.
>
> Works fine here on multiple devices, but then I've always used an ad
> blocker on all of my computing devices...

What ad blocker do you recommend for iphone? I have hush, but it feels
minimal in its effectiveness.

Peter Moylan

Mar 19, 2023, 3:06:22 PM3/19/23
On 19/03/23 18:51, Chris wrote:
>> Works fine here on multiple devices, but then I've always used an ad
>> blocker on all of my computing devices...
>
> What ad blocker do you recommend for iphone? I have hush, but it feels
> minimal in its effectiveness.

Why not implement a good firewall instead of just the ad blocker itself?

--
Peter Moylan

nospam

Mar 19, 2023, 3:09:17 PM3/19/23
In article <tv7mfd$2hqg2$1...@news.samoylyk.net>, Peter Moylan
<pe...@moylan.invalid> wrote:

> >> Works fine here on multiple devices, but then I've always used an ad
> >> blocker on all of my computing devices...
> >
> > What ad blocker do you recommend for iphone? I have hush, but it feels
> > minimal in its effectiveness.
>
> Why not implement a good firewall instead of just the ad blocker itself?

two different things. one does not preclude the other.

Jolly Roger

Mar 19, 2023, 4:08:05 PM3/19/23
1Blocker, AdGuard, and so on. I've used 1Blocker for many years and love
it. I've used AdGuard a few times and it's okay too. YMMV.

Chris

Mar 19, 2023, 7:56:41 PM3/19/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-19, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Works fine here on multiple devices, but then I've always used an ad
>>> blocker on all of my computing devices...
>>
>> What ad blocker do you recommend for iphone? I have hush, but it feels
>> minimal in its effectiveness.
>
> 1Blocker, AdGuard, and so on. I've used 1Blocker for many years and love
> it. I've used AdGuard a few times and it's okay too. YMMV.

Thanks

Jolly Roger

Mar 19, 2023, 8:08:24 PM3/19/23
Welcome.

I forgot to mention another that I have used in addition to 1Blocker for
years:

AdBlock
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adblock/id691121579?uo=4&at=11l6hc&app=itunes&ct=fnd>

What's neat about this one is it utilizes a local DNS proxy to block ads
in any app on your device rather than just in Safari, which is pretty
handy. : )

Ant

Mar 20, 2023, 12:23:53 AM3/20/23
Which free firewall in iPhones?

Joerg Lorenz

Mar 20, 2023, 1:28:23 AM3/20/23
Am 19.03.23 um 20:06 schrieb Peter Moylan:
A firewall is something completely different from an adblocker.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

f...@sdf.org

Mar 20, 2023, 4:18:36 PM3/20/23
1Blocker does this now with a local VPN, blocking ads and trackers in apps.
the data stays on on your device.

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2023, 4:32:42 PM3/20/23
Shit, you're right. How am I just now seeing this?:

<https://pasteboard.co/e3mbdgwDoZPY.jpg>

Great! One app to rule them all. : )

Andy Burnelli

Mar 20, 2023, 6:30:36 PM3/20/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

>> 1Blocker does this now with a local VPN, blocking ads and trackers in
>> apps. the data stays on on your device.
>
> Shit, you're right. How am I just now seeing this?:
>
> <https://pasteboard.co/e3mbdgwDoZPY.jpg>
>
> Great! One app to rule them all. : )

Thanks Jolly Roger & f...@sdf.org!

Sounds like a good app... I'll see if it works for free on my iPad.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1blocker-ad-blocker/id1365531024?platform=ipad>

Here's the iPhone IPA for those on the iPhone and not on the iPad.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1blocker-ad-blocker/id1365531024?platform=iphone>

Here's a description of it from the company:
*1Blocker* - Ad Blocker, Block ads, browse better, by 1Blocker LLC
<https://support.1blocker.com/en/articles/6436262-firewall>

It won't work with another VPN but the Android one has the same problem.
<https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard>
Of course, that free Android app does a LOT more than just a firewall
(e.g., it blocks apps on a per-app basis for wifi and/or data); but
if we limit our comparison to the VPN part, both apps use a VPN so they
both limit you to them alone and to no other VPN (at the same time).

A huge difference, as always, is that in the walled garden it isn't free
(at least according to the blurb that explains it over here).
<https://www.macstories.net/reviews/1blocker-4-0-adds-in-app-tracker-blocking-with-its-new-firewall-feature/>
"1Blocker 4.0 is a Universal Purchase across all of Apple's platforms
that can be downloaded for free to try one Safari ad-blocking filter
and the app¢s Allow List. To unlock the remaining Safari filters
and Firewall, 1Blocker offers a subscription with a two-week free
trial for $2.99 per month or $14.99 per year. There is also a
lifetime purchase option, and the app supports Family Sharing."

Over a twenty year period, that's $300 for the iOS & $0 for the Android
app (which does a lot more than just block ads); but it's better'n nothing.

Thanks Jolly Roger & f...@sdf.org, your help is much appreciated.

Ant

Mar 20, 2023, 7:00:36 PM3/20/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-20, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> > On 2023-03-20, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I forgot to mention another that I have used in addition to 1Blocker
> >> for years:
> >
> >> AdBlock
> >><https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adblock/id691121579?uo=4&at=11l6hc&app=itunes&ct=fnd>
> >
> >> What's neat about this one is it utilizes a local DNS proxy to block
> >> ads in any app on your device rather than just in Safari, which is
> >> pretty handy. : )
> >
> > 1Blocker does this now with a local VPN, blocking ads and trackers in
> > apps. the data stays on on your device.

> Shit, you're right. How am I just now seeing this?:

> <https://pasteboard.co/e3mbdgwDoZPY.jpg>

> Great! One app to rule them all. : )

When did this firewall feature get added? Isn't this the same as
AdGuard's DNS VPN?
--
"Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory." --1 Timothy 3:16. Finally back in the old nest after being away from it for almost unlucky 4 days with long commutes, tiredness, colony reunions and emotions, failures, bad hotel, h2o, winds, etc. It's time 2 rest & catch up (way behind with TV & videos)! Ant lost 2 lbs. even tho ate too much & didn't poo a lot. Huh?

nospam

Mar 20, 2023, 7:11:57 PM3/20/23
In article <tvamq8$1i6i6$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> It won't work with another VPN but the Android one has the same problem.

wrong. ios supports simultaneous vpn, whereas android does not.

> A huge difference, as always, is that in the walled garden it isn't free

the price that a third party developer chooses for their apps has
nothing to do with any supposed (and non-existent) walls.

there are *other* apps with similar functionality, some of which are
free.

you really are that stupid.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 20, 2023, 8:53:04 PM3/20/23
nospam wrote:

>> It won't work with another VPN but the Android one has the same problem.
>
> wrong. ios supports simultaneous vpn, whereas android does not.
>
>> A huge difference, as always, is that in the walled garden it isn't free
>
> the price that a third party developer chooses for their apps has
> nothing to do with any supposed (and non-existent) walls.
>
> there are *other* apps with similar functionality, some of which are
> free.
>
> you really are that stupid.

OK. So I tested it out. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

This is what Jolly Roger looks like when he fell for the marketing gimmick:
<https://img.yumpu.com/6936343/1/500x640/standouts-the-beat-within.jpg>

Free iOS ad blocking 1Blocker firewall only $300 subscription/20 years.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9XtgRz0y/mothership01.jpg> Apple forces periodic login
<https://i.postimg.cc/q73jkvWh/mothership02.jpg> into its mothership trackers
<https://i.postimg.cc/7hmNBGJc/mothership03.jpg> Safari & Chrome work fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/GhmK4QZ1/mothership04.jpg> So does Youtube work fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/vBv7BghB/mothership05.jpg> No problem with web pages
<https://i.postimg.cc/xjtyVmqp/mothership06.jpg> The walled garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/ht79m3sN/mothership07.jpg> iMessage walled garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/5tBL7YZ3/mothership08.jpg> FaceTime walled garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/Y09FCXjn/mothership09.jpg> App Store works mostly fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/tC869Nbk/mothership10.jpg> App Store installs apps
<https://i.postimg.cc/FKVkgtLC/mothership11.jpg> But it won't do iCloud
<https://i.postimg.cc/BbX80XwR/mothership12.jpg> 1Blocker Ad Blocker IPA
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dy4Wp4GX/mothership13.jpg> Open 1Blocker Ad Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/6pd8tsY6/mothership14.jpg> Open 1Blocker Ad Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/1RjnKr8S/mothership15.jpg> Welcome & Get Started
<https://i.postimg.cc/W39DCMSM/mothership16.jpg> Enable Safari extensions
<https://i.postimg.cc/wjJmMRTp/mothership17.jpg> Go to Safari Settings
<https://i.postimg.cc/tRSPMHmL/mothership18.jpg> Safari 1Blocker extensions
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3SrjRpq/mothership19.jpg> Enabled Safari extensions
<https://i.postimg.cc/9F1WpW87/mothership20.jpg> Note 1Blocker Scripts
<https://i.postimg.cc/vHT7YmVY/mothership21.jpg> Enable 1Blocker Scripts
<https://i.postimg.cc/FzsyJrCx/mothership22.jpg> 1Blocker Scripts turned on
<https://i.postimg.cc/pXcZzjH5/mothership23.jpg> Explore Premium Features
<https://i.postimg.cc/660z6Sb0/mothership24.jpg> Works only in Safari
<https://i.postimg.cc/k4PwDddj/mothership25.jpg> Firewall doesn't work
<https://i.postimg.cc/Qxf6mPpt/mothership26.jpg> $300 over 20 years to work

1. On this thread it was said there is an iOS ad blocking firewall
named 1Blocker but when I installed it, it's only for Safari
and even then it only allows a single filter for free and
just for Safari (apparently) and NOT all the apps on the device.
*19 hidden iphone features*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/yS1hplUM6_Y>

Specifically this post:
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/yS1hplUM6_Y/m/IBh4Rpm5BwAJ>

2. HINT: It's classic iOS crippleware. Jolly Roger was duped. Again.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/yS1hplUM6_Y/m/gKg0XV66BwAJ>

3. To make it work costs $300 over a typical period of 20 years.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/yS1hplUM6_Y/m/xwAaUc3ABwAJ>

As always, the highly touted iOS app is a complete waste of your time,
as it's almost completely crippleware, and worse, if you want to make
it work, it's $300/20 years (whereas on Android, the functionality is
not only free, but open source, and it does far (far!) more for you!
<https://netguard.me/>

Why do iOS owners put up with this garbage, I will never understand.
--
Gung ynfg yvar yrsg nf onvg sbe gur puvyq-yvxr vXbbxf gb whzc ba.

Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2023, 10:02:16 PM3/20/23
On 2023-03-21, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> It won't work with another VPN but the Android one has the same
>>> problem.
>>
>> wrong. ios supports simultaneous vpn, whereas android does not.
>>
>>> A huge difference, as always, is that in the walled garden it isn't
>>> free
>>
>> the price that a third party developer chooses for their apps has
>> nothing to do with any supposed (and non-existent) walls.
>>
>> there are *other* apps with similar functionality, some of which are
>> free.
>>
>> you really are that stupid.
>
> OK. So I tested it out. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Nowhere near as hilarious as your lame trolls.

> This is what Jolly Roger looks like when he fell for the marketing gimmick:
> <https://img.yumpu.com/6936343/1/500x640/standouts-the-beat-within.jpg>

Insults are the last refuge of losers. : )

> Free iOS ad blocking 1Blocker firewall only $300 subscription/20 years.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/9XtgRz0y/mothership01.jpg> Apple forces periodic login
> <https://i.postimg.cc/q73jkvWh/mothership02.jpg> into its mothership trackers

Neither of these show this supposed "forced login".

> <https://i.postimg.cc/7hmNBGJc/mothership03.jpg> Safari & Chrome work fine
> <https://i.postimg.cc/GhmK4QZ1/mothership04.jpg> So does Youtube work fine
> <https://i.postimg.cc/vBv7BghB/mothership05.jpg> No problem with web pages

Yes, most apps require mo Apple login.

> <https://i.postimg.cc/xjtyVmqp/mothership06.jpg> The walled garden fails
> <https://i.postimg.cc/ht79m3sN/mothership07.jpg> iMessage walled garden fails
> <https://i.postimg.cc/5tBL7YZ3/mothership08.jpg> FaceTime walled garden fails

iMessage and FaceTime naturally must be able to talk to Apple servers in
order for basic functionality to work, just as Signal, WhatsApp, and
other similar apps also require server connections and logins to work.
This has nothing to do with a "walled garden". This was a horribly weak
and laughable troll attempt. You're a true 🤡, Arlen.
You're just proving me right, left and right! : )
All working fine, without an Apple ID login. Imagine that... : )
Naturally, you would rather say it requires over $300 when the truth is:

* the basic app with basic ad blocking is FREE
* the Premium features allow you to run the firewall for OS-level ad
blocking in any app, as well as advanced (even custom) ad blocking
* the Lifetime one-time package is only $38.99 - not $300

Anyone with eyes can see this in the App Store listing. So as always,
your juvenile trolls are *weak*, Arlen.

> As always, the highly touted iOS app is a complete waste of your time,

Wrong. The free version of 1Blocker blocks ads in Safari very well.
Nobody claimed the app was completely free, or that there weren't
premium features. You're only bitching and moaning to troll. Not to
mention there are plenty of other ad blockers in the App Store that
*are* free, if you're such a cheap-o you can't spend a dime on something
as crucial as ad blocking.

> as it's almost completely crippleware

Translation: eVeRyThInG MuSt bE 100% fReE, oR It's cRiPpLeWaRe, Y'AlL!
#IaMvErYsMaRt! 🤡

> and worse, if you want to make it work, it's $300/20 years

Wrong. The free version blocks ads in Safari just fine. And the Premium
version with more advanced ad blocking and a OS-level firewall is
available for a one-time payment of $38.99 - $261 less than your bogus
claim.

> (whereas on Android, the functionality is not only free, but open
> source, and it does far (far!) more for you! <https://netguard.me/>

That app doesn't even block ads, you complete nitwit. 🤣

> Why do iOS owners put up with this garbage, I will never understand.

You got that second part right. You'll never understand.

nospam

Mar 20, 2023, 10:04:23 PM3/20/23
In article <tvav5c$1ni79$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> >> It won't work with another VPN but the Android one has the same problem.
> >
> > wrong. ios supports simultaneous vpn, whereas android does not.
> >
> >> A huge difference, as always, is that in the walled garden it isn't free
> >
> > the price that a third party developer chooses for their apps has
> > nothing to do with any supposed (and non-existent) walls.
> >
> > there are *other* apps with similar functionality, some of which are
> > free.
> >
> > you really are that stupid.
>
> OK. So I tested it out. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

not in the way you might hope.

> 1. On this thread it was said there is an iOS ad blocking firewall
> named 1Blocker but when I installed it, it's only for Safari
> and even then it only allows a single filter for free and
> just for Safari (apparently) and NOT all the apps on the device.

statements such as that indicate that you do not understand how it
works or what it even does, to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

> 2. HINT: It's classic iOS crippleware. Jolly Roger was duped. Again.

he wasn't the one who was duped.

> 3. To make it work costs $300 over a typical period of 20 years.

that is very much incorrect.

you're even more stupid than originally thought.

perhaps some photos of a calculator might help.

Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2023, 10:08:28 PM3/20/23
On 2023-03-20, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> > 1Blocker does this now with a local VPN, blocking ads and trackers in
>> > apps. the data stays on on your device.
>
>> Shit, you're right. How am I just now seeing this?:
>
>> <https://pasteboard.co/e3mbdgwDoZPY.jpg>
>
>> Great! One app to rule them all. : )
>
> When did this firewall feature get added?

No idea, and I'm not sure how it's relevant. The feature is there today,
which is all that matters to me!

> Isn't this the same as AdGuard's DNS VPN?

Similar concept, but I haven't looked at AdGuard's implementation to see
if it sends any data off device - 1Blocker does not.

Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2023, 10:12:39 PM3/20/23
🤣👍🏼

nospam

Mar 20, 2023, 10:18:22 PM3/20/23
In article <k7si4l...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> 3. To make it work costs $300 over a typical period of 20 years.
> >
> > that is very much incorrect.
> >
> > you're even more stupid than originally thought.
> >
> > perhaps some photos of a calculator might help.
>
> ???

his math skills are lacking.

photos of calculators should be easier to find than photos of
arithmetic books.

Hank Rogers

Mar 20, 2023, 10:51:35 PM3/20/23
Maybe he got lost in the garden.

Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2023, 10:52:43 PM3/20/23
He was lost long before he even walked outside.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 21, 2023, 4:32:14 AM3/21/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Naturally, you would rather say it requires over $300 when the truth is:
>
> * the basic app with basic ad blocking is FREE

Look Jolly Roger.

I have both Android & iOS and I used all the suggested free firewalls on
both. You don't have both iOS and Android. And you didn't use them.

So listen to me since you are completely ignorant of what you speak of.

I tested that 1Blocker app because Lord knows, iOS needs a good free
firewall that actually works like the free Netguard does for Android.

Unfortunately 1Blocker is unadulterated crapware.

Maybe you need to look at these two screenshots a little more, Jolly Roger.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Qxf6mPpt/mothership26.jpg> 1Blocker crippleware

To compare iOS 1Blocker to the free Netguard as a firewall is a joke.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard>

Andy Burnelli

Mar 21, 2023, 4:44:06 AM3/21/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> his math skills are lacking.
>>>
>>> photos of calculators should be easier to find than photos of
>>> arithmetic books.
>>
>> Maybe he got lost in the garden.
>
> He was lost long before he even walked outside.

This is one case where I will easily admit you guys noticed something that
I didn't bother to even notice since there was zero chance I'd pay for that
1Blocker crippleware.

My math was correct, but it was based on the $15/year.

You guys delved deeper to find their lifetime subscription (apparently),
which I'm fine with a priori (so I won't even bother to check it further).

I openly and easily admit I was wrong if you count that if you REALLY
wanted a lifetime subscription, you "probably" wouldn't pay the $15
per year that I calculated - but you'd "probably" pay for whatever the cost
nospam said the lifetime subscription was.

My math wasn't wrong ($15x20) but you found a "better" price, and that's
fine. This is something I will put in the badgolferman 'wrong' thread.
*Updating the "wrong - by badgolferman" thread from May 29, 2019*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Pg9fi_sV3CU>

Note: I'm not like you iKooks who are exactly like this person depicted:
<https://img.yumpu.com/6936343/1/500x640/standouts-the-beat-within.jpg>

I'm not afraid to own up to my mistakes.
And I don't need to lie to cover up for Apple's flaws like you iKooks do.

The lifetime subscription isn't important to me because what iOS should
have, for free, is a system wide firewall that works as well as NetGuard.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard>
Although you need the sideloaded NetGuard for the ad blocking feature.

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 5:50:08 AM3/21/23
In article <tvbq2b$1qcuh$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> Don't listen to me since I am completely ignorant of what I speak of.

ftfy

Chris

Mar 21, 2023, 9:25:16 AM3/21/23
A local VPN is no use if you need to regularly use a VPN for work etc.

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 9:57:19 AM3/21/23
In article <tvcb7q$4cvq$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A local VPN is no use if you need to regularly use a VPN for work etc.

only on android.

not an issue on ios.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 12:51:23 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> Maybe he got lost in the garden.
>>
>> He was lost long before he even walked outside.
>
> This is one case where I will easily admit you guys noticed something
> that I didn't bother to even notice since I am blinded by my
> irrational hatred of all things Apple.

Yep. You're a loser troll.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 12:53:09 PM3/21/23
Which work apps do you supposedly use with ads in them, smart guy?

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 12:54:08 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
He's full of shit anyway. I've never needed to block ads in apps I've
used for work. That's not a thing many people will even need to deal
with.

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 1:08:59 PM3/21/23
In article <k7u5pe...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> A local VPN is no use if you need to regularly use a VPN for work
> >> etc.
> >
> > only on android.
> >
> > not an issue on ios.
>
> He's full of shit anyway. I've never needed to block ads in apps I've
> used for work. That's not a thing many people will even need to deal
> with.

actually, his situation is not unusual.

however, he is wrong that a local vpn is of no use.

many times an employer will require the phone to be on a vpn, but it
can still be used for visiting various sites where ads or other
undesirable content might appear (malware, gambling, adult, etc.),
including work-related activities.

personally, i use a content-blocking vpn (i.e., what he calls a local
vpn) and have no issues connecting to other vpns at the same time,
either one of the commercial ones or my own. android can't do that.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 1:19:43 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > only on android.
>> >
>> > not an issue on ios.
>>
>> He's full of shit anyway. I've never needed to block ads in apps I've
>> used for work. That's not a thing many people will even need to deal
>> with.
>
> actually, his situation is not unusual.

I don't think so. The VPN is for ad blocking *outside* of Safari, in
*non-browser* apps. Which non-browser work apps supposedly have
intrusive ads in them?

> however, he is wrong that a local vpn is of no use.
>
> many times an employer will require the phone to be on a vpn, but it
> can still be used for visiting various sites where ads or other
> undesirable content might appear (malware, gambling, adult, etc.),
> including work-related activities.

1Blocker doesn't require a VPN for ad blocking within the browser.

> personally, i use a content-blocking vpn (i.e., what he calls a local
> vpn) and have no issues connecting to other vpns at the same time,
> either one of the commercial ones or my own. android can't do that.

When I look at Settings > VPN, only one VPN is active at any given time.
But as I said, his bullshit argument is bogus since you don't typically
use apps with intrusive ads in them for "work".

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 1:49:58 PM3/21/23
In article <k7u79c...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > personally, i use a content-blocking vpn (i.e., what he calls a local
> > vpn) and have no issues connecting to other vpns at the same time,
> > either one of the commercial ones or my own. android can't do that.
>
> When I look at Settings > VPN, only one VPN is active at any given time.
> But as I said, his bullshit argument is bogus since you don't typically
> use apps with intrusive ads in them for "work".

ios groups vpns into two categories: vpn configurations and personal
vpns:
<https://i.stack.imgur.com/fa10f.jpg>

note the two separate toggles. either or both can be activated at any
time.

a vpn can also be app-specific or system-wide. refuting yet another
claim in the infamous disinformation 'document'.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 2:33:52 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <k7u79c...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>> personally, i use a content-blocking vpn (i.e., what he calls a
>>> local vpn) and have no issues connecting to other vpns at the same
>>> time, either one of the commercial ones or my own. android can't do
>>> that.
>>
>> When I look at Settings > VPN, only one VPN is active at any given
>> time. But as I said, his bullshit argument is bogus since you don't
>> typically use apps with intrusive ads in them for "work".
>
> ios groups vpns into two categories: vpn configurations and personal
> vpns:
><https://i.stack.imgur.com/fa10f.jpg>
>
> note the two separate toggles. either or both can be activated at any
> time.

Personal, meaning what?

I have these VPN configurations listed on my iPhone right now:

* Firewall by 1Blocker
* nostalgic_whale (ZeroTier app)
* us.vpn.airdns.org (OpenVPN app)
* Proton VPN
* Tailscale Tunnel

Only one of these can be active at a time.

> a vpn can also be app-specific or system-wide. refuting yet another
> claim in the infamous disinformation 'document'.

That's all well and good, but it's all not very relevant to the claim
that non-browser ad blocking is supposedly important for apps used for
work.

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 3:24:24 PM3/21/23
In article <k7ubkd...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > ios groups vpns into two categories: vpn configurations and personal
> > vpns:
> ><https://i.stack.imgur.com/fa10f.jpg>
> >
> > note the two separate toggles. either or both can be activated at any
> > time.
>
> Personal, meaning what?

<https://medium.com/@yevhendubinin/ios-settings-vpn-explained-16ed1958ac
43>

> I have these VPN configurations listed on my iPhone right now:
>
> * Firewall by 1Blocker
> * nostalgic_whale (ZeroTier app)
> * us.vpn.airdns.org (OpenVPN app)
> * Proton VPN
> * Tailscale Tunnel
>
> Only one of these can be active at a time.

that's because they're all in the same group.

it's up to app developers which group to use.

> > a vpn can also be app-specific or system-wide. refuting yet another
> > claim in the infamous disinformation 'document'.
>
> That's all well and good, but it's all not very relevant to the claim
> that non-browser ad blocking is supposedly important for apps used for
> work.

it is if the workplace requires a vpn.

the point is that two different vpns can be active on ios if they're
from different groups, something that can't be done on android.

whether that's common or not is a separate issue.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 4:20:53 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <k7ubkd...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>> ios groups vpns into two categories: vpn configurations and personal
>>> vpns:
>>><https://i.stack.imgur.com/fa10f.jpg>
>>>
>>> note the two separate toggles. either or both can be activated at any
>>> time.
>>
>> Personal, meaning what?
>
><https://medium.com/@yevhendubinin/ios-settings-vpn-explained-16ed1958ac43>
>
>> I have these VPN configurations listed on my iPhone right now:
>>
>> * Firewall by 1Blocker
>> * nostalgic_whale (ZeroTier app)
>> * us.vpn.airdns.org (OpenVPN app)
>> * Proton VPN
>> * Tailscale Tunnel
>>
>> Only one of these can be active at a time.
>
> that's because they're all in the same group.
>
> it's up to app developers which group to use.

Yes, and if they are in the same group, you can't connect to more than
one at a time.

>>> a vpn can also be app-specific or system-wide. refuting yet another
>>> claim in the infamous disinformation 'document'.
>>
>> That's all well and good, but it's all not very relevant to the claim
>> that non-browser ad blocking is supposedly important for apps used
>> for work.
>
> it is if the workplace requires a vpn.

1Blocker's in-browser ad blocking works just fine without the VPN. The
VPN is only needed to block ads in non-browser apps. Which supposed
non-browser "work" apps have in-app advertisements?

> the point is that two different vpns can be active on ios if they're
> from different groups, something that can't be done on android.
>
> whether that's common or not is a separate issue.

My point is the troll made up this scenario claiming he supposedly needs
concurrent VPN connections in order to block ads in non-browsing apps
for "work".

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 4:24:20 PM3/21/23
In article <k7uht1...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > the point is that two different vpns can be active on ios if they're
> > from different groups, something that can't be done on android.
> >
> > whether that's common or not is a separate issue.
>
> My point is the troll made up this scenario claiming he supposedly needs
> concurrent VPN connections in order to block ads in non-browsing apps
> for "work".

work is a scenario where there is often an active vpn, so any ad
blocking would need to be compatible with it.

work is not the only time that would occur. it's just a common one.

Chris

Mar 21, 2023, 4:26:10 PM3/21/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-21, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
>>> On 2023-03-20, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1Blocker does this now with a local VPN, blocking ads and trackers in
>>> apps. the data stays on on your device.
>>
>> A local VPN is no use if you need to regularly use a VPN for work etc.
>
> Which work apps do you supposedly use with ads in them, smart guy?

Whoosh.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 6:54:32 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <k7uht1...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> > the point is that two different vpns can be active on ios if
>> > they're from different groups, something that can't be done on
>> > android.
>> >
>> > whether that's common or not is a separate issue.
>>
>> My point is the troll made up this scenario claiming he supposedly
>> needs concurrent VPN connections in order to block ads in
>> non-browsing apps for "work".
>
> work is a scenario where there is often an active vpn, so any ad
> blocking would need to be compatible with it.

1Blocker blocks ads perfectly fine in Safari *without* the use of a VPN.
Most ad blockers are the same. The troll wants us to believe there is
some work app that has advertisements in it that supposedly need to be
blocked. And I'm questioning that assertion.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 6:56:12 PM3/21/23
Say that to yourself. 1Blocker blocks ads in Safari without the need of
any VPN. The VPN is an extra feature that blocks ads in *other* apps.
And the claim that there are supposedly work-related apps that have
advertisements in them that need to be blocked is questionable at best.

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 7:15:02 PM3/21/23
In article <k7uqt5...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > work is a scenario where there is often an active vpn, so any ad
> > blocking would need to be compatible with it.
>
> 1Blocker blocks ads perfectly fine in Safari *without* the use of a VPN.

but not in other apps, which is why some of them uses a vpn to filter
out undesirable content.

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 9:29:55 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
Again, you seem to be falling for the troll. Which work apps have ads
that need to be blocked?

Bill W

Mar 21, 2023, 10:23:02 PM3/21/23
On Mar 21, 2023, Jolly Roger wrote (in article

>> This is one case where I will easily admit you guys noticed something
>> that I didn't bother to even notice since I am blinded by my
>> irrational hatred of all things Apple.
>
> Yep. You're a loser troll.

Why is he a loser for him admitting that nospam found a better price than
he did where nospam said his math was wrong, but it wasn't wrong at all.

Why does being open about all that make him a loser in your eyes?

Jolly Roger

Mar 21, 2023, 10:45:52 PM3/21/23
On 2023-03-22, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2023, Jolly Roger wrote (in article
>
>>> This is one case where I will easily admit you guys noticed
>>> something that I didn't bother to even notice since I am blinded by
>>> my irrational hatred of all things Apple.
>>
>> Yep. You're a loser troll.
>
> Why is he a loser for him admitting that nospam found a better price

* *I'm* the one who told him of the better price - not nospam.
* Second, the actual price is listed right in the App Store listing.
* The reason he purposely over-inflated the price was to *troll*.

Arlen is only backtracking now in a lame attempt to save face. And you
are either really gullible or actively supporting trolls by siding with
him after the fact.

> Why does being open about all that make him a loser in your eyes?

He was a loser *long* before any of this. He *literally* spends all day
every day trolling the Apple newsgroups under a never-ending slew of
different nyms. He's been a loser for literal *decades*. And you want to
support that? Why?

nospam

Mar 21, 2023, 11:00:31 PM3/21/23
In article <k7v8et...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Yep. You're a loser troll.
> >
> > Why is he a loser for him admitting that nospam found a better price
>
> * *I'm* the one who told him of the better price - not nospam.

yep, i only hinted at it.

> * Second, the actual price is listed right in the App Store listing.

and in a variety of other places too.

> * The reason he purposely over-inflated the price was to *troll*.

which is why he picked a 20 *year* time frame, to artificially inflate
the number.

expecting that in 20 years (or even 10 years), the same app will still
exist, still work, without any newer methods having been developed in
that time, as well as still be the same yearly price is quite the
stretch.

> Arlen is only backtracking now in a lame attempt to save face. And you
> are either really gullible or actively supporting trolls by siding with
> him after the fact.

more accurately, it's another fake nym.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 21, 2023, 11:28:49 PM3/21/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Which work apps have ads
> that need to be blocked?

I found nospam's explanation quite clear... so I'm watching this
communication with interest because I've never met people as thick as Jolly
Roger appears to be, at least not in real life...

Go on Jolly Roger with your strawman, that _nobody_ but you brought up.
I stopped counting at about a half dozen times nospam explained it to you.
--
HINT: Jolly Roger is this person...
<https://img.yumpu.com/6936343/1/500x640/standouts-the-beat-within.jpg>

Andy Burnelli

Mar 21, 2023, 11:40:10 PM3/21/23
nospam wrote:

>> Don't listen to me since I am completely ignorant of what I speak of.
>
> ftfy

And you wonder why I say you iKooks act like children when you have no
adult defense to the facts.

Jolly Roger

Mar 22, 2023, 1:18:00 AM3/22/23
On 2023-03-22, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Which work apps have ads that need to be blocked?
>
> I found nospam's explanation quite clear

You're a weak troll who can't back up your empty claims..